The Difference between impact and the environmental aspect is given here. Environmental impact is the effect produced by human activity on the environment. While the environmental aspect, according to the ISO 14001 standard, is an element of the activities, services, or products of an organization that can generate an impact on the environment.
It is the effect produced by human activity on the environment. This concept also extends to the effects that catastrophic natural phenomena produce on the environment.
The science that is responsible for measuring environmental impact and minimizing it is ecology.
The actions of human beings on the environment always cause effects. The concern about environmental impact includes radioactive energy waste, noise pollution, the expulsion of harmful gases, the loss of natural habitats, pollution of the seas, among others.
Environmental impact can be classified into four groups according to the effect it has over time:
- Irreversible: It is one that has such a magnitude that it cannot be reversed.
- Temporary: It does not generate major consequences and the environment can recover.
- Reversible: The medium can recover in the short, medium, or long term.
- Persistent: Actions against the environment result from long-term influence.
It is considered as all that element of the activities, services, or products of an organization that can interact with the environment.
The environmental aspect is identified and evaluated by the UNE-EN ISO 14001: 2004 standard on “Requirements in the implementation of Environmental Management Systems”
The environmental aspect is the way in which activity, service, or product of a company impacts the environment.
suggested video: impact vs the environmental aspect
Difference between impact and the environmental aspect
The relationship between appearance and environmental impact is one of cause and effect and in this lies its main difference.
- Environmental aspects are the cause of environmental impact, they are everything that can interact with the environment.
- The environmental impact is the effect of the interaction of the aspects with the environment.
To better explain it, we can use an example:
An environmental aspect of a car wash is the cleaning agent we use that has the potential to pollute the water. The contamination of a water source is the environmental impact produced by the use of this product.