Biotechnology is the technological application that uses biology (biological systems and living organisms or their derivatives) to create or modify products or processes for the benefit of man and his environment. It uses sciences
such as physics, chemistry, mathematics, and engineering to develop its advances.
Types of biotechnology
There are different types of biotechnology, each of them is named with a color that identifies it. They are distinguished from each other by the area in which they are developed and the methods and means they use.
- Red Biotech. It is the application of biotechnology in medicine.
- White Biotech. It is the application of biotechnology in industrial processes.
- Blue biotechnology. It is the application of biotechnology in processes related to the sea.
- Green biotechnology. It is the application of biotechnology in agriculture.
- Gray biotech. It is the application of biotechnology in the care of the environment.
What are some Advantages of biotechnology?
- Development of practices that improve the productive capacity of the land.
- Development of practices that improve the nutritional capacity of food.
- Discovery of new drugs for the treatment of various diseases and pathologies.
- Development of biorefineries as a means to create new types of renewable products.
- Development of bioremediation for the treatment of contaminated land.
- Development of practices for waste recycling.
What are some examples of Biotechnology?
- Bacterial and yeast cultures
- Skim milk, fortified or long life
- Contributions to the fight against cancer
- Biofuel production
- transgenic plants
- biodegradable plastics
- growth hormones